The Denver & Rio Grande (D&RG) Railroad reached Howard in May, 1880. This building was likely part of a hotel then. From about 1900-1930 David D. Hamilton, MD, operated a hospital here when Calcite (north of Howard on CR-4) was an active mining camp. A scarlet fever epidemic struck this area in 1913. It is believed that a breezeway was built between the hotel and the old Davis place (the white house on the corner) so the two buildings might serve as an infirmary and accommodate those who were ill. The house on the corner that once joined this structure was later moved to its present location. During the 1930s, Roy Cunningham operated a hotel here.