506 – 508 Main Street
In 1899 – 1900, Mrs. Sarah J. Burrage (widow of Charles W. Burrage) commissioned architects Bradbury & Rittenhouse along with building contractor C.M. Ward to erect this structure for $8-10,000. The Burrage Block is a two-story brick structure with segmental arched windows, dentils under the windowsills and an uneven roofline. The building also has a band of masonry stones just above the second story windows and large dentils under the cornice.
This commercial property housed W.H. Peabody’s Drug Store and the Beecher’s City Book Store. Peabody was the nephew of successful Cañon City businessman and governor of Colorado James H. Peabody. Harry N. Beecher sold books, art work, stationery, wallpaper, paints and glass; he also was a noted local writer.