502 Main Street
This two-story brick building was distinguished by an ornate cast-iron cornice and wide segmental arch windows accented by brickwork. Two rows of rough cut beige stone with glass block panels on either side marked the diagonal corner entrance. Locally made brick and native stone were used with cast-iron metal and glass. C.C. Rittenhouse was architect and civil engineer W.H. Burrage and his father Charles W. were the building contractors and first owners. Built in 1887-88, one hundred years later it was placed on the National Register of Historic Buildings in 1988.
The building has housed many businesses including the US Post Office, First National Bank, an office of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad and a mortuary. Land developers C.R.C. Dye and Dall DeWeese had offices on the 5th Street side of the building. In 1990, Cañon City Western Wear moved in; their mascot, a life-sized horse, stands outside on the second story just above the old diagonal entrance.