Strathmore Hotel, 325 – 331 Main Street
W.H. McClure ordered the 1874 construction of the three-story, Italianate-style hotel. Bricks for his McClure House came from our local Catlin Brickyard. The Fremont County Bank
shared the first floor with an ornate lobby and dining hall. Sixty-six nice guest rooms filled the second floor. The basement contained a barber shop and other stores.
McClure lost the hotel in the 1870s economic downturn. By 1900 the building had gone through many owners when English investors renovated and named it the Strathmore.
In 1980, a section of brick fell from the west wing wall. Later, a gust of wind caused bricks on the building’s north wall to fall. The City Building Inspector ordered the west wing evacuated and closed 4th Street. The top two floors of that section were then removed and the first floor re-roofed. McClure’s Saloon celebrated 130 years here in 2014.