Taggart Building, 320 Main Street
portion framing the building’s name. Six second-story bays are highlighted by segmental pediments of cast iron. Original stone was from the Kerr Stone Quarry while the brick came from The Diamond Fire Brick Company. H.S. Taggart came to Cañon City for his health. He bought the two buildings at 318 & 320 Main, operating a dry goods store for a short time. He had the buildings torn down and built the Taggart Building in 1883, adding a cast iron cornice with his name just below a gabled central pediment. The decoration and six
windows on the second floor can still be seen today but metal siding obscures the store front.
In 1908 Frank (Peanut) Bunten operated a bicycle and auto repair service. Silent movie star Tom Mix rented a car to go drinking in Florence. When his wife followed, Mix ditched the car and Peanut sent another to get Tom’s wife off his trail.