Murray’s Saloon, 305 Main Street
Downtown Cañon City has a number of historic buildings, but perhaps none as important to our history as Murray’s Saloon. The saloon was built sometime in the 1860s in an Italianate architectural style. The public hall on the second floor was used by local government leaders as their official meeting place, in addition to serving as the Courtroom for Federal District Judge Moses Hallett. In 1872, the decision that Cañon City should incorporate was made here.
While government entities (as well as a couple of churches) conducted their affairs upstairs, Bernard Murray ran his popular saloon and billiard room below. Sometimes the noise downstairs made it difficult to hear upstairs.