This Edward Howard & Co. Clock was saved when the old Fremont County Courthouse at Fourth Street & Macon was razed in 1965. The Clock Tower was rebuilt and the clock repaired and reinstalled on this site in 2005 after a lengthy, and sometimes challenging, community process to find a prominent and suitable location.
The history of the 1881 Fremont County Courthouse was no less fraught. Originally constructed on the 100 Block of Macon Avenue, the building began sinking within a few months
of its much acclaimed completion. After five years of battling unstable soil and unable to prevent structural problems, the building was carefully dismantled, moved and reassembled on a new site at Fourth Street and Macon. The reconstructed Courthouse served Fremont County’s needs at that location for over 70 years from January, 1888 until 1961 when the current Fremont County Administrative Building was built on the 600 Block of Macon.